Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS - Visiting Professor, Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist
Visiting Professor Simon Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
Visiting Professor Ash is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and an accredited Consultant and Fellow at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Furthermore, for many years Visiting Professor Ash served as the Regional Dental and Speciality Orthodontic adviser (North Thames) to the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
In 1984 as a Senior Registrar at University College Hospital Dental School, Visiting Professor Ash became proficient in the use of a range of functional appliances available at the time.Though efficient, many of these appliances suffered from frequent breakages, and patient compliance even in tolerant children and adolescents was a challenge.
Realising the sheer scale of patient numbers, and the need to find a comfortable and robust alternative, he used his clinical experience and inventive flair to develop a non-surgical lifetime solution, made from super alloy chrome cobalt. The Somnowell has a unique lower jaw section that rests in front of the teeth, thereby avoiding infringement on tongue space. Improved recording techniques and precision engineering have given rise to the remarkably comfortable, stable, and well-tolerated Somnowell appliance.
Visiting Professor Ash and professional colleagues have further perfected the design and adapted it to meet the various clinical challenges.
Visiting Professor Ash was trained at the following world class institutions.
- The Royal London Hospital (Barts Health NHS Trust)
- The Eastman Dental Institute, London
- University College Hospital London
- Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
- 1988 – 2013 Orthodontic consultant, lead clinician, head of department, clinical director Whipps Cross Hospital (Barts Health).
- 2014 Visiting Professor of Orthodontics BPP University London
- 2010 Managing Director & Clinical Director Somnowell Ltd.
- BDS - Bachelors degree in Dental Surgery FDS - RCS Fellowship in Dental Surgery at both Edinburgh and EnglandColleges of Surgeons
- MSc - in Orthodontics Research degree University of London in Orthodontics
- M.Orth&D.Orth - Membership and Diplomas in Orthodontics at The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Clinical lead at Whipps Cross Orthodontic Department Chartermark award for excellence in public service Cabinet Office HM Government.
- Investors in people awards
- Best Use of IM&T in a Department, 1998 NHS Healthcare effectiveness awards Runner up
- Best Use of IM&T in Healthcare, 1998 Healthcare effectiveness awards
- Highly commended Most innovative laboratory, Laboartory awards 2014
- Ash S.Providing mandibular advancement appliances: Irish Dentistry April 2014, 42-43
- Ash S. Record taking techniques in relation to dental sleep medicine: Dentistry May 2014, 42-44
- Ash S. Jaw relations in dental sleep medicine: Dentistry, September 2014, 128
- Ash S. Ideals for mandibular advancement devices: Irish Dentistry October 2014
- Ash S. Choosing the right MAD: Dentistry October 2014